My photo
Belfast, Ireland
I'm Martin Byrne, I'm a musician and songwriter from Belfast, N. Ireland. I write music for theatre, digital media and "other". I play a variety of instruments. I have written and produced quite a lot of music. When I'm not at home making music, I am out performing it with or without other awesome musicians. Cheers for having a wee juke!

Sunday, 17 October 2010

Day 352

So Friday night was great!

Saturday Hexxed practice was even better.

Sunday has been an exercise in utter laziness. I've done nothing but watch movies and eat junk food. It's also been a week since I've been up to my studio. Very naughty.

So this is the "9 - 5 lifestyle": Work all week and do nothing in the evenings. Nights out on the weekend. Doing minus nothing on Sunday. I've been here before. I don't care for it much.

This coming week I'm going to make a point of getting up to the studio after work. It'll be hard and tiring, because after work I just want to come home and sleep, but I'll do it and get into the habit of it. I need some sense of hope. I need to believe that my creative life isn't just going to wither and die now that I am working a "normal" day job again.

Besides, I am paying for the studio.

Having a new job at least takes away some of the worry I had a couple of weeks ago. But this situation is far from ideal. And I'm concerned that everything up to this point has just been that mentality of Summer freedom and hope with the winter bringing me back to reality with a crash: There is no career in music for me. There is no way I'm going to be able to afford to quit my day job and live off doing what I love... etc etc etc...

So it's important for me to keep making time for the things I love, otherwise I will give into that negative way of thinking and frankly, life will feel like an utterly pointless franchise.

Time to sleep. Alarm set for 6am. GROAN!!

[EDIT: I just realised my post the other day said "Day 346" when it should have been "Day 350", corrected it now. That's only the 2nd time in almost a year I've made a mistake like that, but my google calendar put me right. I know I'm right, because Day 350 fell on WEEK 50 also, so that all checks out! Sorry for the confusion. All sorted now. Carry on...]

1 comment: