The job went by easy enough today, I just got my head down. Other than my breaks I worked solidly. At some points it was getting a bit sore on my back, being on my feet all day, but the breaks helped and it was easy enough work. I'm getting the swing of it all rightly. In fact, I don't think there's much more to learn.
People there also told me that Monday's are always hardest because of the backlog of orders over the weekend.
So today made me realise that I'm really warming to these people at work already. This is a bit odd really, because I haven't really chat with them that much, or know much about them. Possibly I just realise the massive contrast between my relationship with people at work in my last job, compared to how it is now. There's been no patronising condescension. There's been no dirty looks or snipey comments. The people at work are jovial and good natured. There are even people into proper music there! (!) ... (when I say 'proper' I mean more than just sticking on the radio and/or watching X-Factor)...
I don't want to paint it like there's some rainbow pouring through the windows constantly and everyone is smiling, but it's a good enough atmosphere and everyone's been cool.
OK, so yesterday I mentioned this stuff about the "woofter" comments and such, but today I saw another side to that sense of humour: The way women have just as much power to make fun of the so-called "macho" guys in the workplace. The traditional idea of men sexually harassing women, leering about like animals and making inappropriate comments doesn't exist here (as far as I can see) and it's more like a small family just having a laugh, teasing each other.
So anyway, thumbs up all round.
I am kind of tempted to keep reporting on some of the details of my progress through this job, because it could make for an interesting document. Won't that be kinda creepy though?
I have been warned about THE BOSS a couple of times. I still haven't spoke to him. I've seen him pass through. Perhaps this is going to be the "catch" with an otherwise tolerable job. I don't plan on letting someone just scream at me for no reason though. If gives me shit and it's offensive and unreasonable in any shape of form, I'll tell him so: As a colleague mentioned yesterday, "No job is worth taking abuse like that". He also hasn't encountered this infamous temper of the boss, but like myself, he has been warned about it.
I would like to be able to convince myself that it's all just a running joke and the boss is actually the total opposite of aggressive or short (he certainly doesn't look like the type that will fly off the handle). But time will tell.
That's all for now. . . Carry on.
No comments:
Post a Comment