My photo
Belfast, Ireland
I'm Martin Byrne, I'm a musician and songwriter from Belfast, N. Ireland. I write music for theatre, digital media and "other". I play a variety of instruments. I have written and produced quite a lot of music. When I'm not at home making music, I am out performing it with or without other awesome musicians. Cheers for having a wee juke!

Friday, 30 October 2009

Some benefits...

So, no more drink, nothing stronger than tea or coffee for the next 365 days (at least).

What will I actually get out of this?

My main concern is health, both mental and physical.

Phsyically

- Having no energy = nothing gets done!

- Having energy = more positive feelings, more motivation!

- Regular exercise = losing weight / looking better = more confidence!

So while I cut out drink (and drugs), I also plan to do some (not intense) exercising, like an hours 'brisk' walk everyday, a burst of jogging, cycling, swimming etc. I think this will help keep my energy levels up and help keep me feeling better. I also hope to lose a bit of weight, as the beer belly is starting to become a bit of keg and I'm not too keen on that look for myself.

Mentally

I'm looking forward to losing the feelings I've come to associate with the 'hangover' of alcohol. The depression, the paranoia, the laziness, the mopiness.

Thing is, for me, I am cursed and blessed: I don't actually get physically hungover with alcohol AT ALL. I am sure a lot of my drinking friends hate me for it. But bizarrely, no matter how much I drink, I never wake up with a headache. I may wake up a bit bleary eyed and dizzy, but usually my hangover cure is: lots of water and more sleep!

On the other hand, what I do experience, usually a day or so after a big drinking session are bouts of fairly intense depression, or feelings of failure, lack of motivation etc. (I think this is linked back to my days of doing 'other' substances and how those have effected my mental state).

So I believe I stand to gain a lot in terms of positive mental health from staying sober and actually, I can't wait to experience the benefits!

4 comments:

  1. Hi there! Ace blog this. I also have the drinking = intense depression thing. In fact I know if I've been drinking too much for little me if I start bursting into tears for no reason! This happens if I get drunk two or more nights in a row. Happy to say, it hasn't happened for ages.

    My superpower is that I get fairly tipsy on one drink, and it doesn't last very long. I think I have a magic 1 hour detoxing body or something.

    Unless someone buys me 5 whiskeys in a row like that time we went out clubbing. Danger danger! I'm glad you don't drink anymore, cos man, I couldn't keep up at all! I'm very impressed with your soberness, and it's a fab blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks very much! I miss you. :(

    Hope you got back safely and stuffs. See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey, I just googled sober for a year, just to see if anyone has ever actually BEEN sober for a year and obviously this came up..I thought I'd do it this year, first I had to make sure its possible, and it looks like u did it right? Cause I can't read all ur posts for some reason some dont open..SO: did u do it? I mean no drink, nada, not one beer not one glass of wine not one shot?? dying to know, thanx!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hehe. YES! I completed my 1 year sober and to be honest, it was pretty easy. There were about 3 times I was tempted to drink, but I knew how much was weighing on that decision: A whole year of sobriety and money I'd raised for charity. So it was pretty easy to resist.

    I'm doing it again! I completed the year sober on 0ct 30th 2010, so I was back on the drink between then and New Year's Day 2011.

    I decided around mid-December that I was going to do another year sober from the 1st January. Basically, I thought about trying to moderate, but I just felt it was going to be too much effort and too much work, so I decided to just quit it all together.

    It certainly is possible to go sober. So give it a go! And if you're going to blog about it, send me a link, I'd love to read other people's experiences of it. :)

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete