My photo
Belfast, Ireland
I'm Martin Byrne, I'm a musician and songwriter from Belfast, N. Ireland. I write music for theatre, digital media and "other". I play a variety of instruments. I have written and produced quite a lot of music. When I'm not at home making music, I am out performing it with or without other awesome musicians. Cheers for having a wee juke!

Saturday, 19 December 2009

Day 50

Weeeeeeeeeeee!!! 50 days sober.

Going strong. Going well. Just keeping on like the famous advertising bunny for a LARGE COMMERCIAL BRAND OF BATTERIES! UH! Yea... Mutha'uckers!

This week has been fairly lazy (again), some happenings:

I'm back to work at my wonderfully, lovely and not in any way boring and mind numbing totally dead end security guard job. Today I'm stationed in a tiny wee hut with no heat. Yay! At least I'm on my own and can amuse myself without the distraction of ... like... other people... Yay! I think... Going to be working over Christmas.

Some friends have buggered off for the holidays.

Been to a couple of gigs and things.

Started playing guitar and writing acoustic songs again.

Been letting my voice recover from the 4 hour practice with Hexxed last Saturday (still moaning about that as you can see).

Getting ready for Christmas-y things. And by 'getting ready' I mean, worrying about what crap meaningless and instantly forgettable present to buy my family for Consumerism-mas (too cynical?) ... I do like the Christmas day meal and stuff, so there, tidings to all men and t'ing.

In other newsy newsy news noos:

I was interviewed recently by Bangor Spectator regarding my experiences with Mephedrone. I have to be a little complain-y and say I was hoping the article didn't make me sound so anti-drugs, because actually I am not: Basically, I know my chemical make up, system and history to hazard a (sort of informed) guess that drugs (and alcohol) effect me in a way that doesn't represent the majority. The argument that people can take drugs and then go absolutely mental and schitzo do-lally etc. is a little bit similar to the argument for putting belts on cinema seats, because someone once fell off their chair, hurting their spleen from laughing so hard. Point is: Extreme (and fatal) reactions to illegal drug taking experiences are hardly as common place as deaths or illnesses related to alcohol, smoking, driving etc etc etc... Of course there is risk and danger with drugs, I just strongly believe the best way to approach these things is to be as well-informed as possible (i.e. gaining proper information and not just rumours from your mates) before taking risks with your health, (which I did say in the report).

Anyway, all my disclaimers aside, here's the article for those of you interested.



Hope this doesn't brand me as "drugs are bad mmmk?" guy, as that's never what I set out to be when I took on this challenge.

The point of my challenge is to get myself into a healthier state of mind, for the sake of my own mental health, based on my previous experiences with mental illness and other side effects of drink and drugs. I didn't do this to preach to any of my friends or anyone else on how they should live. It's also important for me that people know that I was never a "junkie" or an "alcoholic" before quitting drink and drugs. The reason I think it's an important distinction is because I believe people are more prejudiced against recovering alcoholics or drug addicts, seeing their recovery process as not so much a strong willed motivation to get better, but something that deserves contempt. Or they think that their recovery journey was enforced on them somehow, not a choice and so deserves no credit.

I think being a 'social drinker / user' and quitting can maybe stand to say more about are accepted norms regarding our intake of these things. Maybe.

Well this is all very serious, so here is a lovely wee festive animation from Mouth Trumpet, who have also been very awesome and linked this here blog into their "People We Like" page:

http://www.mouthtrumpet.com/xmas.html

No comments:

Post a Comment