My photo
Belfast, Ireland
I'm Martin Byrne, I'm a musician and songwriter from Belfast, N. Ireland. I write music for theatre, digital media and "other". I play a variety of instruments. I have written and produced quite a lot of music. When I'm not at home making music, I am out performing it with or without other awesome musicians. Cheers for having a wee juke!

Sunday, 21 February 2010

Day 114

So I'm in work this morning, just covering someone who has been unable to make it in today, probably due to the slightly snowy conditions. Snow! I wasn't expecting to see that today!

After settling in I get a phonecall:

Me:"Hello, security. How can I help?"
Someone: "Is that Martin?"
Me: "err... Yes. How can I help?"
Someone: "Martin who?"
Me: "err... Sorry, who's this?"
Someone: Mumbles. Hangs up.

Basically, I’m fairly sure it’s the other guard who’s due to arrive very soon, so I’m wondering what he’s going to be like. First impressions: He seems like a dick*.

Anyway, that's about the height of my excitement on this chilly Sunday morning. I’m a little grouchy and tired today. It’s been a very busy weekend, which is good I suppose. A few more hours in bed this morning would have been great though!

I’ve more to update actually, but the other guard has just arrived. He sort of apologised in the sense that he just explained that he wasn’t sure what was happening or whatever, or something, or meh… Maybe he’s not a total dick, but already he’s asked me to write lines into the daily report book, because it will look bad if there aren’t enough! Meaning I’ve had to write “11:00 Nothing to report. 12:00 Nothing to report”.

UPDATE:

I hate the term "jobs worth", I really do. I hate that it implies that people who want to do a job right are meant to treated with disdain. However there are people who want to do the job right and people who just do these pointless routines, because they've been doing the job so long and they're stuck into their little ways of doing things and they can't fathom the concept of altering these things or looking at the bigger picture of how pointless these little things actually are.

It's that type of "jobs worth"-type behaviour that bugs me.

*As it transpired though, in the end, the fella was actually pretty dead on and it was an easy shift. He gave me a couple of half hour breaks and he also let me go home a wee bit early. So... Result!

Also got some very cheap sandwiches from Asda for lunch and ended up seeing 3 seperate people who I know. (one cousin and his girlfriend, later another cousin and then a fella I went to college with). Tis a small World, afterall.

Now, perhaps bizarrely for a Sunday, I really must get out of the house this evening and dance! Somewhere. Anywhere! Well anywhere that has good loud music.

No comments:

Post a Comment