My photo
Belfast, Ireland
I'm Martin Byrne, I'm a musician and songwriter from Belfast, N. Ireland. I write music for theatre, digital media and "other". I play a variety of instruments. I have written and produced quite a lot of music. When I'm not at home making music, I am out performing it with or without other awesome musicians. Cheers for having a wee juke!

Sunday, 5 December 2010

AFTER Sober For A Year - Day 36

So I was just looking into "Moderation" and got a general bit of information that men can drink around 3 - 4 units of alcohol a day. That amounts to just less than 2 pints of beer or 2 glasses of wine or 2 shots of a spirit.

So 2 pints a day x 7 = 14 pints a week?

That's surprisingly high! Obviously the problem is that I tend to drink around that amount (and sometimes a lot more) over 2 or 3 days, rather than smaller amounts across the week. And then again, looking at my recent intake it's definitely been way over the recommended amount.

The thing is, my problem isn't necessarily the health aspects of drinking, though that is a factor, my problem is how these drinking sessions affect the rest of my life.

So it looks like in the space about 36 days since I quit booze for a year, I've come back around to the same realisations I had back at the end of October 2009:

  • Drinking is disrupting many other aspects of my life.
  • It's bloody expensive.
  • It affects my overall state of mind and attitude to life.
Should I quit again though? That is the question.

Moderation could be interesting: A chance for me to put more control on myself and learn to be mature and discipline myself. To me, that will be a lot more of a challenge than quitting altogether.

However, how do I moderate?
Only allow myself a certain number of drinks a week?
How many? 5 pints a week? 10 units a week? Do I allow "exceptions" for special occasions? Or more to the point, am I going to be able to stop myself from going over on those occasions? Might I just end up hating the fact that I have to hold back and won't it just spoil the evening for me, when parties are in full swing etc?

Of course this all reads like I just don't trust myself to moderate. I've just never done it before.

A few things to consider really. I shall make a decision very soon!





No comments:

Post a Comment