My photo
Belfast, Ireland
I'm Martin Byrne, I'm a musician and songwriter from Belfast, N. Ireland. I write music for theatre, digital media and "other". I play a variety of instruments. I have written and produced quite a lot of music. When I'm not at home making music, I am out performing it with or without other awesome musicians. Cheers for having a wee juke!

Wednesday, 15 December 2010

AFTER / NO LONGER Sober For A Year - Day 46

As well as being Sober For A Year from 1st January 2011, I will also be doing this:

I think this is going to be challenging and difficult at times, but I feel it will be a great way to keep me busy with my musical output and it'll be a great way of building up a collection of work, that while it might not be "the best" music I can make, it'll certainly be a chance to try out new ideas, work through some specific musical techniques or approaches, focus the way I work and focus me to work towards deadlines.

Already I have a few ideas in my head of how I can approach this. I am thinking on certain days I'll want to set aside many hours to one piece, so that I have something quite well established and of a better quality than, say, just banging out a few riffs. However, there will be days when I won't have as much time or access to my equipment and on those days I'll probably focus on creating something short and simple within a shorter time frame.

This will lead to a nice variety of pieces: Some long, some short. Some simple, some complex etc.

I also want to make the most of collaborating with other people. Bringing in friends to bounce ideas of and work towards something would be extremely fun and might lead to some really interesting results.

With 365 songs, there is plenty of scope for there to be themes and genres for specific weeks (or even months). I could say, "March is going to be HEAVY METAL INDUSTRIAL HELL month" or, "January week 2 is going to be all about strings and harmony" or, "This week I'm going to be writing songs with my friend Bob". There is plenty of scope!

More on this soon.

2 comments:

  1. Respect! This is quite the undertaking, amigo. Go for it. And best wishes for completing it. Look forward to checking out the results. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much appreciated man! Yea, I'm looking forward to it. I guess in a few weeks time I might be a total wreck, crying into my guitar, "Why did I undertake this ridiculous challenge!" But sure, if I have a nervous breakdown, it'll make for some good reading!

    ReplyDelete