I don't want to spoil it for anyone, so I won't name the book in the hope someone else will get the same pleasure I did, but I was so ecstatic I literally giggled to myself on the bus just now. I couldn't wait to wade through the rain and jump on this here blog, just so I could go "isn't it class when a book totally fucks with your head?"
While we're on the topic of great plot twists: It appears I might be getting the sack on Thursday!
I've a big formal hearing and a letter that says, "...because you're still within your 6 month probationary period we may terminate your contract."
It's weird how mutha-fucken Zen I am feeling about all of this stuff lately.
I guess I am just glad something is happening. It might not be so good for me to be fired, certainly it won't look good on my CV (then again, why would I want to mention this job on any future CV?), but I am glad changes are coming.
I feel like, well, just like... Fuck it. I guess, I know that they know that I know that I just don't really care, so instead of worrying that people are pissed off about this and pissed off at me all the time, we're going to get it all out in the open.
It has to be said, a year ago, I'd be a mess trying to deal with the reasonably sized, Shit Mountain that's been looming over me of late.
Anyway, other than using my laptop in work and surfing-dem-darn-internets I don't see what dirt they've got on me. I was given a written warning for the laptop incident and never brought it into work again.
Which makes me actually think "no but really, what are they going to try and fire me over?" General bad performance? Surely not.
General bad attitude? Hmmm...
So maybe this is just going to be one of those final warning type meetings? Ach, I'll be disappointed if it is. I won't have my chance to be all righteous and flounce off into the sunset.
On the other hand, not getting fired might be a slightly better career path at this juncture. Then I can get the finger out and find something else. Tout suite.
Maybe I will get fired though.
In other news, somebody move into my house please? Go on. It'll be a laugh!
[ps. sorry about removing yesterday's blog entry, I'll put it back depending on how the meeting goes on Thursday]
A 6 month probationary period wld not be considered reasonable by any employment tribunal, but not sure if it makes much difference as you do not have the opportunity to take advantage of unfair dismissal claim unless you are one year in continuous employment, unless they fire you because you are black asisn, muslim, pregnant, sex discrimination in which case you may have a claim for discrimination and would not need to have worked there a year to qualify. Disability counts too.
ReplyDeleteHave you been offered to have another person attend the meeting? You should be offered these things as it is part of the ACAS code. If in doubt ask your local citizens advice. There is little money to be made from claims unless you are earning loads as it is linked to salary, but it might help them treat you more fairly. they do not sound like very nice employers.
if you said u were depressed as a result of alcoholism this might amount to a disabilty for discrimination purposes, but only if yr employer knows about it. if they dont know them they are off the hook re firing you.
ReplyDeleteoh well.
http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1859
The letter they sent me says I'm allowed to have someone present, yea.
ReplyDeleteIf they fire me, I think my only objection of the dismissal would be that I wasn't really given ample opportunity to understand that people were so unhappy with me and therefore improve my work.
This is what makes me think today might just be a warning (albeit a very firm and formal warning), as they so far they appear to be reasonable and doing everything above aboard.
http://www.acas.org.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=1043
ReplyDeletethe acas code spells out what employers are obliged to offer as minimum. 1st and 2nd written warning plus an opportunity for the Employee to redeem themselves between times.
This ACAS contains all you need to know about what employers need to be seen to b doing, so it is worth a thorough read.
Re the 'probationary period' this is not actually what it is. You are not on 'probation' you are gainfully employed and are subject to the same rules as any other employed person. Yes, you are not eligible to claim unfair dismissal until one year, but if they try to get rid of you just before that time (ie one week before you reach a year) you may still be able to make a claim against them for unfair dismissal. like i say its related to pay so the lower the wage the less you get.
My advice wld be read through the acas guide and make sure you know what you are entitled to, but it serves no purpose needlessly antagonizing them if you would rather stay in employment. Its tricky weighing up the pros and cons. If you push too far you just piss them off, but if you say nothing when they are taking the piss, you cld end up losing your job for unfair reasons. u have to be as clear as possible but at the same time as unflustered and as diplomatic as possible. Not easy! Count to 10 and try to maintain a helpful attitude. if your blood is boiling, say nothing till you have calmed down and defer decisions by saying 'I will have to get back to you on that'
Good luck!
That's all really solid advice man and thanks very much for pointing me towards the ACAS stuff and everything, but basically what happened was: They were unhappy and were going to fire me because of it. They'd made that decision before the meeting, I'm fairly sure.
ReplyDeleteThey told me that a guy higher up wanted me off the site and basically they have to do whatever he wants or risk losing the contract, so I guess I was collateral damage in that sense.
I stayed calm, pleaded my case, made all the right points about not being informed of things being THIS bad, only being warned once, etc.
But they just saw it as an accumulation of things that painted a negative enough picture. Which I guess is fair enough really.
It's annoying that all I said just seemed to fall on deaf ears, but at least I got to say it to them: That I did my job right as far as I'm concerned and I worked hard and that there wasn't really communication and enough feedback regarding any issues that were of concern...
Still it all sucks balls really, because I am pretty sure that nothing I would have said would have changed the outcome and so I might as well not bothered even turning up for the meeting.
sucks. I hate that it takes a year to be entitled to unfair dismissal.
ReplyDeletein this country you have to wait a whole year before you are entitled not to be dismissed unfairly. they get to dismiss you very unfairly for up to 11 months and three weeks.
ah well.
you may still have a claim for wrongful dismissal if they do not pay you what you are contractually entitled to. 4 weeks notice, holiday pay, any bonuses you and the other staff would have received before your notice expires. ? clothing allowance, ? gym membership etc..
How many weeks notice does it say u have to work on your contract. 1 week sucks. really it should be 4 weeks at least.
Good luck with the new chapter.. there are a lot of people going through the same sh*te at the moment so there are many who will empathize with you..