Not much more to report. I was out last night drinking alcohol free BitBurger. It was OK.
Here's a brief list of non-alcoholic beverages I might prefer to drink in a bar:
1. Pure fruit juice (like orange / pineapple / raspberry) or smoothies.
PROS: Tasty, healthy (possibly)
CONS: Keeps ye regular... Maybe too regular. Expensive! Bars tend to charge £1.50 for about 200ml of juice. Personally I think that's a bit of a rip off.
2. Thick ice-cream milshakes
PROS: mmmmmm yummy.
CONS: Could I really drink / eat that all night? Also probably quite fattening and pretty unhealthy after a while.
3. Fizzy drinks (coke / lemonade etc)
PROS: ... cold
CONS: Too sweet, too sticky, too expensive and general yuckiness
4. Water
PROS: About the most healthy thing you can drink (probably)
CONS: Image factor (including embarrassment of having to ask for it at bar. Having to ask for tap water as you don't want to pay. Having people at the bar look at you funny. Having your mates sleg the life out of you)
5. Coffe / Tea
PROS: Nice.
CONS: Caffeine MAKES ME HYPER HYPER HYPER (uppercut)... !!!!11!!1!!!!!11!!!one!!!!1111two!!! It's hard to hold a cup and saucer of tea in a crowded bar (see also: being slegged to death by your mates).
Your suggestions are very welcome
Sunday, 22 November 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey Martin,
ReplyDeleteI think your decision to stop drinking for a year is inspiring and I wish you all the very best - especially as you are doing it for SANE.
There was an interesting article on Radio Ulster a couple of Saturdays back - a writer from Cork has just published a new book about alcohol and drinking in Irish culture. He had some pretty interesting, and worrying, things to say on the matter. Alas, I can't remember his name, but a quick google search reveals he's not the only one to write on the subject.
Best wishes, James.
If you're embarrassed about ordering water one suggestion is to get who ever is buying the round to pick up the glass of water with it.
ReplyDeleteBut I don't think there's much cause to be self-conscious whenever you're buying non-alcoholic drinks at a bar. Designated drivers have to visit the bar eventually, the barmen aren't going to care.
Even though juice IS expensive, it's still cheaper than a pint!
ReplyDeleteCordial Man! Pint of Orange, Lime, Black Currant etc is usually about 50p/£1. I'm not drinking much myself these days, however I smoke so I usually take a few extra puffs.
ReplyDeleteCheers for the feedback folks (didn't notice these comments until now. Oops).
ReplyDeleteSince I wrote the above I've been to the pub a few times and decided my choice of drink is... I think I shall blog it!
Hi there! First of all I just want to say well done on the no drinking. I've just discovered your blog so I'm catching up on the posts.
ReplyDeleteI had to stop drinking for 3 months last year for medical reasons and was a bit upset about it to start with, but by the time it came around that I could drink again I was definitely seeing the benefits. In particular, good quality sleep and not waking up with an impending sense of dread, guilt and doom about what I might have done the night before! I think I can honestly say my mental health had never been better. I now only drink the occasional shandy.
I live in Spain, so sadly the cordial option isn't available here but we do have various kinds of soft drinks and I enjoy an alcohol free beer from time to time. I do think there could be more choice though, like you I don't always fancy a fizzy pop.
Anyway, keep up the good work and all the best.
Cheers for the comment Clare. I've been getting away with blackcurrant cordial at most bars, but the odd time, I buy an alcohol free beer too.
ReplyDeleteIt would be cool if there was some sort of juice company that tried to infiltrate bars with soft drink alternatives, or perhaps it's been done in some places? hmmm There's so many bars "out there" that I have to believe that a few of them have actually considered a better range of choices for non-alcoholic drinks.