My photo
Belfast, Ireland
I'm Martin Byrne, I'm a musician and songwriter from Belfast, N. Ireland. I write music for theatre, digital media and "other". I play a variety of instruments. I have written and produced quite a lot of music. When I'm not at home making music, I am out performing it with or without other awesome musicians. Cheers for having a wee juke!

Friday, 6 August 2010

Day 280 - 40 Weeks Sober!

Not much to say this morning, I'm not long in from my forth night shift in a row. Sober as a judge who doesn't watch Judge Judy... And loving it.

Anyway, I wanted to tweet / Faeces Boke the following little bit of revelation and clarity, but the text limitations on those sites forbade it, no matter how succinct I tried to be. so I am posting it here, my official rant-space-which-requires-a-slightly-longer-investment-of-your-thoughts-and-time.

Here you go:

I'm reading Moab Is My Washpot by Stephen Fry at the moment, and on the bus this morning I got through pages 251 - 260. Around there he makes a few points about being gay, or more specifically about people who think they have any right making judgments on what others get up to with their dangly bits and it's like a revelation to me. Such a simple point and bizarre that I never really considered it before actually: " ...parking your dick up an arse, slurping at a helmet, whipping, frotting, peeing, pooing, squatting like a dog, dressing up in plastic and leather - all these go on in the world of boy and girl, too: and let's be clear about this, they go on more - the numbers make it so. Go into a sex shop, skim some pornography, browse the Internet for a time, talk to someone in the sex industry. You think homosexuality is disgusting? Then it follows, it follows as the night the day, that you find sex disgusting, for there is nothing done between two men or two women that is, by any objective standard, different from that which is done between a man and a woman." Thank you Mr. Fry, you fucking rock!

And that's about all I have to say at the moment. I'm off work for four days now, so I'm going to sleep a little, meet my sister for a bit of banter in Carrick and then spend the rest of the weekend in my studio! Yippee!!

3 comments:

  1. That's awesome! He makes such a good point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I say, I'm actually slightly embarrassed that for so long I've often thought of heterosexual people having this really clean, "pure" and kinda clinical sex. In a way I pitied them, but then I've always had a curiosity about it too: Surely they all get something enjoyable out of it. Never really thinking, "hold on, obviously these people are just as every bit as pervy as me, it has nothing to do with which bits they each specifically like".

    And hi, thanks for reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to click the Like button for this!

    ReplyDelete