My photo
Belfast, Ireland
I'm Martin Byrne, I'm a musician and songwriter from Belfast, N. Ireland. I write music for theatre, digital media and "other". I play a variety of instruments. I have written and produced quite a lot of music. When I'm not at home making music, I am out performing it with or without other awesome musicians. Cheers for having a wee juke!

Friday, 30 October 2009

The Beginning

The Pledge

On Oct 30th 2009, around 1 am, I decided to stop drinking for an entire year!

I realised that since the age of 13, I have dabbled in some sort of alcoholic shenanigans (or 'other' chemicals) and that I have never had a period longer than a couple of months of total sobriety. Whether it was those first bottles of cider as a teenager, or those crazy four day binges of alcohol fuelled madness at some music festival, alcohol has always been a part of my life in some way.


The point of this exercise is that I want to feel what it is like to be COMPLETELY sober for an extended period of time. Sure, a couple of months or even weeks sober is plenty of time to get your head cleared, focused and into the real World, but how will the real World feel if I spend a year completely sober? Replacing all those drinking sessions with some simple exercise (just walking for a couple of hours or maybe cycling) and how will I cope when I have to find enjoyment in other things without a drink? Will I find it mind numbing? Or will I find it liberating?


After a whole year of getting clean and healthier, will I find that I want to continue being sober for even longer? Or will I be straining at the leash to get a pint down my neck the second the year is up?


Either way, I have made this decision and I plan to stick it!


This blog will record my progress.



No comments:

Post a Comment