
SANE has three objectives:
- To raise awareness and respect for people with mental illness and their families and secure better services
- To undertake research into the causes of serious mental illness through The Prince of Wales International Centre for SANE Research
- To provide help and information to those experiencing mental health problems, their families and carers throughSANEline and SANEmail.
Raising awareness
SANE campaigns to combat stigma and ignorance and improve care, giving nearly 400 interviews each year on national and local television and radio, generating hundreds of column inches in the press and participating in government and professional initiatives.
Major concerns highlighted by SANE have been the prevention of suicide and self-harm, the improverishment of psychiatric wards and services, the need for a better balance between rights in mental health law, and the link between cannabis and psychosis.
SANE's Art Awards have encouraged nearly 200 artists and writer with serious mental illness to explore their creative ability.
Undertaking research
In 2003 SANE opened The Prince of Wales International Centre for SANE Research in Oxford. Under the guidance of Professor Tim Crow the centre aims to establish the causes of and better treatments forschizophrenia and bipolar disorder, and to act as an international forum, disseminating education, awareness and information to other scientists and the public.
Providing help
SANE's national telephone helpline, SANEline, was set up in 1992. SANEline volunteers currently handle an average of over 2000 calls every month from men, women and children affected by mental health problems as well as their carers and health professionals.
SANE's vision is to use its proven helpline expertise to reach many more people affected by mental illness, their families and friends. In 2007, SANEmail was launched. This new email support service provides vital online support to people who may find talking about their mental health problems difficult, or who perhaps can't use the phone because of a disability.
We cannot do this without your help and support so please consider making a donation or perhaps offering your time as a volunteer on SANEline or SANEmail.
I've also setup a page at Just Giving and added a widget to this blog so people can find it even easier to donate!
So that's all for now. I'm onstage in a couple of hours here at SARC, supporting Chris Corsano. I'm wearing my SANE t-shirt and hopefully there will be some video (and maybe some photos) to follow!
Marty, this is wonderful work. The Mental health services in this country are desperately over-subscribed and underfunded, so charities like SANE are often left with the responsibility of providing support to the most vulnerable.
ReplyDeleteSo this is a great undertaking by yourself. I lend it my full support! I've been sober for much longer than a year because of my anti-psychotic meds clashing with alcohol, so your choice of challenge is a fitting one for those of us who can't drink and often feel exposed in social situations because of it!
I donated £10 and hopefully you will raise a lot of money. Good luck.
Best wishes, Andrew
ps. let me know in the comments here if you get the donation because I am very dense when it comes to PayPal.
Hey Andy, sorry I never got back to you before regarding this comment. I've now turned on Email Notification for all comments so won't miss them in future.
ReplyDeleteI think I'd like to look into it a bit more, but the mental health services in Belfast (in my own experience) don't seem particularly effective at all.
Sticking people in a ward and giving them drugs and hoping they'll just sort themselves out is hardly enough, for example.
I think SANE is a good cause too!
RE: your donation. I got it. Thanks so much for it!! It's really appreciated.